Friday, May 28, 2010

Banned from Field Trips

Things are particularly funny to me when it's time to go to bed. It's either that or it's the only time Paul and I get to talk without 4 other mouths going.... and I still, after all these years being married, think he's really funny.

To be honest, I think it's a bit of both.

So, the other night I said one thing that reminded Paul of a video clip. I saw him reach over to his bedside table to grab his phone. (We can get videos from YouTube on our phones.)

Ahh! I hate when he does that! I don't know why, but the thought of watching video clips gets on my nerves. I am positive I was rolling my eyes and screaming, "NOOOO! On the inside."

He brought up a video clip of one of our favorite comedians, Brian Reagan. Click here so you can watch it... you won't be sorry.

Whenever I start watching, I am never sure why I balk at the idea. I was laughing so hard, I thought I was going to die. I actually gave myself a headache from laughing.

When we were finished watching, he was getting ready to send the clip to Janae. I asked him not to do that because I knew I was going to see her in the morning and I wanted to watch it with her.

In the morning, Janae and I had to be at school for an all day field trip with our 3rd graders. Since we had taken the kids to school and school started at 8:15, we had 45 minutes to kill before the 9 am departure time. We went to Starbucks for some coffee and then we came back to the parking lot of the school, sat in the car, and watched the video.

We laughed so hard that... well, Janae had to use her inhaler.

In case you too balked at my idea of watching the video, Brian Reagan was talking in the clip about going to the eye doctor. During his eye doctor visit, the doctor says to him... "Did you know one of your eyes is lower than the other? It's not going to affect your vision or anything.... I just want you to be self-conscience about it for the rest of your life!"

That was one of our favorite lines and we had our quoted it at least once during our bus ride.

For this third grade field trip, we drove about 90 minutes to visit a farm. It was a historical site, the North's type of plantation. It was owned by some army general... or something like that.

At this farm, we toured the house and learned about life in the 1800's. After that part of the trip, we walked to a canal that was built on the property. We boarded the canal boat, and once all the kids were seated, an old gentleman began explaining how the canal was made, lock systems, etc.... I wasn't paying much attention to the old guy. I was looking around and listening. Listening but not looking at him.

Janae leaned over, while he was talking and whispered, "Did you know one of your eyes is lower than the other? It's not going to affect your vision, I just wanted you to be self-conscience the rest of your life."

I figured there was a reason she said this, so I turned and looked at the old gentlemen that was speaking. All of a sudden I turned into an elementary kid. The laughter welled up inside me and I could not control myself. You know how it is, when you are not supposed to laugh, everything is funnier.

Now, please understand that I am not making fun of the old man. I'm really not. It's just that his one eye looked as though someone has stuck their finger in the bottom lid and slid the eye down his face. Any other day, I would have noticed the eye and felt sad for the poor feller.

But why? Why on the day that we see a man with his eyes so obviously off center did we have to watch a comedian talk about that very thing 3 hours prior to seeing him?

I couldn't look at the man. Every time I turned around, I would have one of those violent snort kinda of laughters begin in my stomach and works it's way up. I had to turn completely away from Janae, look at the back of the boat, and bite my cheek as hard as I could. I could keep the laugh silent, but I couldn't keep my body from shaking as I was laughing.

I'm pretty sure we're not getting asked to chaperone another field trip together.






The picture above was the boat we rode.
Here is the poor old feller. If you click on the picture it will enlarge the picture and you can better see his eye. Even still, I don't think the picture shows how pronounced the eye problem really was.


No comments: