Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Things I Love About Gracie




     Gracie turned 8 last Friday.... time for me to tell you all the things I love about her.

     1.  Gracie is a servant.  She is the first one to jump up and help.  She's always getting things for people.

    2.  She is very thoughtful.  For Shelby's birthday, she got up and made her breakfast in bed... she did the same for me on Mother's Day.  At dinner, when I am always up getting things for people, she will often say. "Guys, quit asking mom for things so she can set down and eat!"

     3.  She knows where EVERYTHING is.  And, if she doesn't know where something is... it's likely not to be found.    Once, Paul asked me if I knew where he could find a coupon for an oil change.  She piped up, "I KNOW!"  She ran over to a bookshelf, took some books off the shelf and.... behind the books, there was an oil change coupon.  

     4.  She's like having a personal assistant.  A couple of years ago, we were getting off a cruise.  We grabbed our luggage and we were heading through the turnstiles and she says, "MOM, we forgot the blue bag."  
     I was like, "What blue bag?"  
    She said, "The one we borrowed from Miss Jennifer for our dresses."
    I totally would have left it sitting there in Tampa.

    Recently, when I went on a trip for Shelby's choir, Paul said she was like having a nanny.  She got the diaper bag ready complete with diapers, wipes, and toys... oh, and extra clothes in case she had an accident.

     5.  She's so funny.  If you haven't read the Bobawhite story.... you must click here.  

          A couple of weeks ago, my mom took us girls to a dinner theatre.  On the way home, we were listening to the new Lady Antebellum CD my mom got Shelby for her birthday.  (By the way, if you haven't heard them, you must.  You tube them.  And, here's a huge name drop... we are friends with the girl, Hillary Scott.  (Check back for pictures of the girls with Hillary).  I will add them later.  I need Paul's computer.) (So, we are a little partial.)  Anyway, on one of the songs, the guys sings something about cursing someone's name and Gracie said, "Geesh!  Cursing her name... that's a little harsh.  So, I said, "Um, it's 2am and I'm cursing your name... Taylor Swift song..."
      
     She replied, "Yeah!"  "2am!"

      As if somehow the hour of the curse makes the difference.

     She also gets tickled at little tiny details in books no one else would probably ever notice.
 
     She has her own language... too difficult to explain.

     Bottom line... she's A LOT of fun!


      6.  She's very sensitive.

     7.  She knows every word to every song that is even remotely popular.  How?  She's homeschooled for the love of Pete!  (Ever wonder who Pete is?)

     8.  Have you ever heard the words... something up her crawl.  I don't know how to explain this... but she frequently gets something up her crawl.  It's not a bad thing either.  It's like she gets these energy spikes and she has to squeeze something or scream or... I don't know exactly... but I totally get the term now.  She defines it.

     9.  She loves her sisters with undying emotion.  I would pay a million bucks for a sister like her!

     10.  I love it that she watches medical shows and baby stories and mystery diagnosis stories.  She's unique.  How many 7/8 year old sit around and watch some shows like that?

      God has big plans for her... I am sure of that.

     So, so thankful she was given to me.  What a gift!

    Grace.  Perfect name.

P.S.  Big surprise.  Here is Gracie singing.......... wait for it............ Taylor Swift.  

Be prepared for videos the next couple of posts.  The other day, when I put up the first one, I spent 3 hours.... working until 1:30 in the morning.  Gracie was up at 6:20 am the next day. Good times.  I deserve to post some videos.

Sorry about the blurry factor!  I'm gonna have to work on it.  Anyone know why it's blurry?


3 comments:

Darja said...

i'm kind of obsessed with gracie. i think she's quite possibly the nicest person alive. she ALWAYS surprises me when she does all those things, maybe because i'm sooo not like that by nature.

are you sure you don't want me to live with you guys till emme goes to college???

Rachael said...

Can I add a couple??? I love it that she is so fashionable and will compliment you if she likes what you are wearing. She notices new hair cuts, shoes, purses... well, she notices everything. I love her smile and how she makes me feel like I want to give her anything and everything she would ever want. (actually... all your kids have this ability.. I don't know how you ever say no to them). I love her hugs and she always has one to give. :)

Unknown said...

It was like you were writting about Emma ;) twins! I'm so glad Emma and Gracie are such sweet buddies... you'll have to ask them what they birthed today, boys or girls :)